Thursday, July 5, 2007

Tasty Tuna

Growing up in Coastal Southern California, I was surrounded by delicious, freshly caught seafood. Friends/customers of my parents owned one of the largest tuna canneries on the West Coast. I guess that is why my Mom always had a case or two of canned albacore tuna in her pantry. Needless to say, I grew up eating high quality tuna and to this day, it is still one of my favorite foods.

Using tuna fish for sandwiches, year after year, can get pretty boring, not to mention the health risks associated with the high fat content of real mayonnaise. Since I enjoy lots of variety in my meals, I have created some tasty alternatives for everyday tuna (or chicken) sandwiches. Some contain just a dollop of mayo, while others don’t contain any at all. In fact, my Lemon Pepper Tuna is moistened with a delicious homemade vinaigrette.

Check back soon for some easy, tasty ways to dress up your next tuna or chicken sandwich using dibs and dabs of leftover pestos, tapenades, hearty Mediterranean spreads, oils, and spices! And if you have a recipe you would like to share, please add it to this post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to use less fat in my diet. Do you have any recipes for great tasting tuna salad sandwiches that don't use a ton of mayo?

Sandie said...

Kathryn,

I have some great tuna sandwich recipes that use little to no mayo but they do contain fat in the form of Grapeseed Oil, Olive Oil, or Canola Oil (the better-for-you fats). If your health care provider has you on a fat restricted diet, you should check with him/her first.

This first recipe makes 2 sandwiches in my household because we load up on the filling. You can probably stretch it to 3 – 4 sandwiches, if you prefer. Use a dense whole grain bread because the filling is very moist. I rarely add the optional mayo but sometimes add a drizzle of infused olive oil.

Red Bell Pepper Tuna
1 can solid white Albacore Tuna, packed in water
4 - 5 Tablespoons Red Bell Pepper Tapenade (about 1/2 jar)
1 tablespoon fresh Italian (flat leaf) Parsley, minced
1/4 teaspoon Tuscan Sea Salt Blend
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
Red or Green Leafy Lettuce
Mayonnaise or Extra Virgin Olive Oils, optional
4 – 8 slices of Whole Grain Bread

Drain the tuna well. Put in a bowl and flake with a fork. Add the Red Bell Pepper Tapenade and blend well with a fork. Add a tablespoon of mayo or a drizzle of olive oil, if desired, and blend well. The mayo is not necessary. The tapenade adds moisture and most of all, a great flavor to the filling.

Add the parsley, Tuscan Sea Salt Blend, and pepper to the filling mixture and mix to combine.

Spread the desired amount of the filling mixture on a slice of bread, add leafy lettuce, and top with another slice of bread.

Enjoy!